Marketing your event app ensures its success and maximises attendee engagement. An effective strategy will increase the app’s usage and enhance the overall event experience for your delegates. Below, we explore comprehensive best practices to market your event app effectively, from pre-event communications to launch strategies and beyond.
Pre-Event Delegate Communications
Integrating App Announcements
Start by weaving small segments about your event app into all pre-event communications. Treat the app as an essential event component, just like sessions or sponsors. This could include:
- Email Signatures: Add a line about the event app in the email signatures of your team members.
- Event Newsletters: Dedicate a section in each newsletter to highlight app features.
- Registration Confirmations: Use the confirmation email as an opportunity to introduce the app and its benefits.
Dedicated Feature Showcases
Create official email announcements that focus solely on the app, especially on features offering attendees tangible benefits. For instance:
- Networking Tools: Highlight how the app facilitates networking with features like attendee directories or meeting schedulers.
- Personalised Schedules: Showcase how attendees can create their own event agendas within the app.
- Interactive Elements: Promote interactive features such as live polls, Q&A sessions, and feedback opportunities.
A soft launch serves as a teaser and allows you to gather early feedback. Announce the date when the app will be available, and consider offering early access to a select group of attendees, such as VIPs, speakers, or sponsors. This phase can help identify any issues or areas for improvement before the wider release.
The hard launch is when you fully open the app to all attendees. Make this a significant event:
- Countdown Emails: Build anticipation with countdown emails leading up to the launch.
- Launch Day Blast: Send a high-energy email blast on launch day, encouraging everyone to download and explore the app.
In the days leading up to the event, increase your communication frequency:
- Feature Highlights: Send daily emails focusing on different app features and how they enhance the event experience.
- Engagement Incentives: Introduce gamification elements or contests that attendees can participate in through the app.
- We’ve found that a gentle reminder to download the event app within a 48-hour window of the event is the most successful.
On the days of the event, capitalise on the attendees’ heightened attention:
- Commuting Communications: Send early morning emails or push notifications to capture attendees while they’re commuting or preparing for the day.
- Daily Digests: Provide a summary of the day’s highlights, upcoming sessions, or networking opportunities directly through the app.
Additional Marketing Strategies
Social Media Integration
Leverage your event’s social media channels to promote the app:
- Teaser Videos: Share short videos showcasing the app’s features and user interface.
- User-Generated Content: Encourage early users to share their experiences or tips using the app on social media.
Create incentives for downloading and using the app:
- Exclusive Content: Offer app-exclusive content or early access to certain information.
- Rewards and Prizes: Implement a rewards system for the most active app users, offering prizes, VIP experiences, or recognition.
Training and Support
Ensure attendees know how to use the app effectively:
- Tutorial Videos: Create brief tutorial videos explaining how to navigate the app and use its key features.
- Help Desks: Set up a virtual or physical help desk where attendees can get assistance with the app.
Use the app as a tool to collect attendee feedback:
- Surveys and Polls: Embed surveys or polls within the app to gather insights about the event and the app’s performance.
- Open Channels: Provide a way for attendees to report issues or suggest improvements directly through the app.
BONUS TOP TIP:
At VenuIQ, we have found that our check-in scanning app effectively encourages attendees to use your event app. To check in, guests must use their event app to provide a QR code. This process is quick and efficient, reducing waiting times and ensuring that the app is used seamlessly on the day. Letting attendees know in your marketing before the event that the event app will speed up their entry will increase downloads and maximise use of your event app.
Marketing your event app requires a strategic approach that begins well before the event and continues through to its conclusion. You can significantly increase engagement and satisfaction by integrating the app into all facets of your event communication, providing clear benefits to attendees, and creating a sense of anticipation and excitement. Remember, the key to a successful event app is in its features and how effectively you can market them to your attendees.